Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Black Like Me


I read this book and was awe struck. I have read very few books that impacted me the way this one did. I know in many colleges it is required reading, so maybe you have read it. But, WOW!!
I am always interested in anything involving overcoming racism. I don't know if it came from my Southern Mom who has this amazing ability to look past color and has taught us the same. Being raised in the south this must have been a challenge. I remember saying the "N" word and getting my butt "tow up"! I have to admit that when I was a young adult I strayed from this thinking. I was mugged twice before I was 17, threatened to be raped on a daily basis at school, harassed and called "white girl!", saw the most violent fights at school.. all of these acts came from black people. So, I equated black people (esp Men) to being scary. Once I became stronger in my faith and grew closer to the Savior I was able to be healed from these beliefs (or so I thought). I am sad to admit that many of my family members have not embraced these teaching from my mom and it saddens me. We often get in arguments about racism and they claim that I can't judge because I no longer live in the south. They are right, I am sad to report that I go weeks without seeing a black person. However, many white people around her feel the same about Mexicans. I am proud to say that my closest friends are natives from South America. We had the sweetest girl from Peru live with us for over 6 months. That being said, again I really considered myself cured of racism.
However, after reading this book I realize that I am still racist. It is so sad and hard to realize. I hope to someday to look at a person and not see him/her for the color of his/her skin. I would like to go further and hope that I can look at a person and not judge them for on whether or not they are beautiful or ugly, fat or skinny, rich or poor, dirty or clean. I would like to be able to look at the Spirit of a person and see him/her for who they really are. Not even judge them by their behavior (because our behavior is NOT who are). It is my prayer that I can look into the soul of a person.
Another part of this book that I LOVED was John Griffin's ability to look past a person behavior and understand why that person behaved that way. As he was dress up as a black man this white man started harassing him and treated him as if he weren't even human. It was SICKENING. And John was able to see him as a father, a son, a brother and knew that this wasn't who he was, but rather beliefs he had been taught. Instead of getting angry and judging he just saw past all of it for the real person. Now that I typed that I see that is exactly what I was talking about before... WOW! It is all about UNDERSTANDING! I need to pray for understanding, that is a huge answer.
One more thing I realized by reading the book is that it was racist for me to hope that eventually everyone would be able to be intermingled but all really act "white". That would make everyone happy wouldn't it? NOPE, these people have a heritage and culture to keep, and they should.
We could argue all day and/or try to justify that every other race hates white people, but where will that get us?
Well Folks, this is my soap box for the day. I wanted to share b/c I don't know what to do to help cure racism so this is a small part.. passing on to you.. if we all pass it on then someday it can be better.

4 comments:

Adhis said...

I have relatives and in-laws who can't understand why I get upset when they talk derogatorily about Mexicans since "you're not a Mexican" even though I am Hispanic! Or when they make jokes about black people because "hey, it's just a joke."

It's not just about race though, I am bothered by comments embracing the idea that someone else is somehow "less-than" because they practice a different religion (or no religion), they have labeled themselves as gay, or their transgressions have become public. Things like this bothered me even as a child.

Imagine my surprise when I got my patriarchal blessing and it blessed me "with a love for all mankind-- the kind of love that has been exhibited by the Savior" among other attributes involving the treatment of people! I had an explanation as to why I felt this way even when people close to me thought me strange. God made me this way!! ;)

Anyway, at the end of my long-winded comment, I just wanted to say I'm touched by your heartfelt thoughts and honesty. Just another reason I like you!

Sheree said...

I love social issues. I will have to read that book. I had a sociology teacher that told us that we were all racist, and then went on to explain how we were racist. You know, it was really interesting. Because most of us spend our time defending why we are not racist instead of looking at what ideas or thoughts may be hurting other people and trying to change. It looks like this book would be a good one to help with that.

Sarah Tilley said...

having been raised in the integrated south, for most of my childhood i grew up pretty much color blind. in first grade i heard the "n" word at school and repeated it to my little sister, who in consequence of accidentally saying it in my mom's presence got her mouth washed out with soap (lucky me- i didn't say it again). i always thought black people were all pretty cool until i went to middle school in a black neighborhood and was introduced to racism. i already knew there were plenty of white people who were jerks, but it really surprised me when i saw a black teenager walk up off the street and shove a white boy for no reason. in high school two black girls i didn't know were bullying some white girls waiting outside on their rides and one came up to me and rudely commented on the uncleanliness of my tennis shoes. i said "yeah, they're dirty, so what?" and she got all riled up until a black guy in my band class told her to lay off. luckily for me i was able to grasp from unpleasant experiences that there are nice people and jerks in this world, regardless of race or culture.
one of my friends from church was a black girl named audrey. she was a couple years older and i always looked up to her, because she was taller and because she was a wonderful person. she didn't act "white", but was very accepting. the first time i met her i was twelve and at my first girl's camp. she had a big rambo knife she said was for killing bugs. once at youth conference we were walking alone together along a road on our way back to where the rest of our group was when several large, barking, aggressive dobermans came running up to us. audrey immediately leaped into the ditch and with both hands held aloft a huge chunk of granite and shouted, "come on, dogs!" of course it was a very frightening moment, but for some reason the thought of sweet, calm-natured audrey smashing in a dog's brains with a rock sent me shrieking with laughter. i think my laughter saved us, though, alerting the dogs owner who came and called them off. i always loved audrey, and though our paths have diverged, she'll always be my hero. if ever i have a girl i'm going to name her after audrey.

Carl and April said...

I saw you were looking for good books and One of my favorate books is The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. It has been one of my favorate books since I was fourteen and I still cry as I read it.