Sunday, January 8, 2012

Grandma Allen



Carma Hansen Allen March 27, 1927 ~ December 23, 2011
Allicia says it so much better than I can, so I am just going to paste what she wrote the day Grandma died:
" My Grandpa, Carling Allen has always been a romantic. He and Grandma could never be in the same room without wanting to have their arms around each other. They would dance and kiss in front of us all the time. They went through some of the hardest times a couple could face yet showed my family how an eternal couple should be. They were married 65 years ago today in the Manti LDS Temple. Typical Grandpa came this morning just after 9 AM to sweep his bride off her feet again and take her to the mansion he has been preparing for her since May 12, 2004. Grandma and Grandpa, I love you both so much! Happy Anniversary! I miss you both but am grateful for your example and that you are able to celebrate your 65th anniversary as it should be celebrated..together on a second honeymoon".
The first time I met Michael was at Grandma’s house for a Christmas party, and of course I met Grandma at this time as well.  I was amazed at how much love everyone had for one another. It wasn’t long until I discovered the root of the love was from Grandma and Grandpa. Through their example of the Savior and their testimony of His love they were able to teach their children, who taught their children and now I hope that I am teaching my children.

From the beginning I have felt that I am truly a part of this amazing family and always felt like Grandma and Grandpa are truly my grandparents. I can’t tell you how much this means to me as I was never super close to my grandparents.  I am so grateful to have felt this love from them and be a part of this family. 

As I heard and read so many sweet stories of Grandma I am glad I named my Carma after her. What an amazing legacy she has to live up to. I know she can do it, I have seen grandma’s sweetness in her already.
I invited Grandma to be there for my C-section the day Carma was born. I wanted her to be one of the first people to meet my Carma.
Grandma was a temple worker the day Michael and I were sealed in the Mt. Timpanogus temple. I remember her helping me in the brides room. She encouraged Michael to ask me out in the first place and was always "on my side" when Larry and Darlyn weren't so sure of what to think of me.  Thanks Grandma for having my back:)

I loved listening to Grandma tell stories of her mission at the Navoo visitor center.

A funny memory of Grandma is when Michael and I were helping her with her sprinkler system. I love cats and was excited to see that one hopped over the fence to her side of the yard.  I said in excitement “Oh a kitty!” and before I even finished the sentence Grandma was picking up a clod of dirt to throw at the cat. She chucked that dirt so hard that she could have been a pro baseball player. The dirt exploded against the fence and the cat jumped so high in fear.  I was in shock because the sweetest lady I have ever met hates cats so much and second at how good her arm and aim was. I laughed and laughed for hours after. I am still laughing.   I love you Grandma! I will cherish your memories and love always!!

No comments: