
I just read the most amazing talk by President Benson, "Born of God".
I am so excited I have to share. I have read this talk several times, but oh how quickly I forget!!
I have been pondering change and recently feeling a lack of faith that a REAL change is possible. I slip back into so many self destructive behaviors time and time again that I feel a little hopeless that a real and lasting change IS possible. But I read this talk again and I feel a renewed hope. Thank you President Benson!
"Born of God" July Ensign 1989
"The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature.
“Human nature can be changed, here and now,” said President McKay, and then he quoted the following:
“You can change human nature. No man who has felt in him the Spirit of Christ even for half a minute can deny this truth. …
“You do change human nature, your own human nature, if you surrender it to Christ. Human nature can be changed here and now. Human nature has been changed in the past. Human nature must be changed on an enormous scale in the future, unless the world is to be drowned in its own blood. And only Christ can change it.
“Twelve men did quite a lot to change the world [nineteen hundred] years ago. Twelve simple men” (Quoting Beverly Nichols, in Stepping Stones to an Abundant Life, compiled by Llewelyn R. McKay, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1971, page 23, 127).
Yes, Christ changes men, and changed men can change the world."
....
"May we be convinced that Jesus is the Christ, choose to follow Him, be changed for Him, captained by Him, consumed in Him, and born again."
__________
It is beautiful and filled with hope! We can change ourselves, and then we can then go change the world. The miraculous thing is that once we are changed changing the world, or our family or relationships will just come natural because our Nature is changed. Changing will allow those things that muck up our lives to fall out of it.
I just had to share. It is so exciting to remember and to have HOPE again.
Go read the entire talk. I LOVE President Benson, he is AMAZING. If you are lacking in a testimony of the Savior or the Book of Mormon he is your man to bring you there or bring you back into remembrance.
5 comments:
Like it! Well said.
I love this. Thanks for sharing! I like how bold and straightforward President Benson always was. I was a little young to understand him at the time but most of my favorite talks and books are from him. This is perfect.
Our possibilities are truly endless if we let Christ changed our lives and then get to work in furthering his kingdom. Thanks for reminding me of that talk ... like you I need to be reminded often.
thanks for that. :)
I just had that feeling to check your blog today and I'm so glad I did! I needed to hear your thoughts and be reminded of this same thing! Thanks!!!!!
Post a Comment